Professor Mary Ann Lumsden
OBE FRCOG FACOG FCPSB BSc MD
Areas of Expertise
Prof Mary Ann Lumsden is Hon Professor of Medical Education & Gynaecology, at the University of Glasgow. She retired from active practice in Glasgow in 2021 due to commitments as CEO, International Federation Obstetrics and Gynaecology (FIGO), a global charity for improvement in women’s health.
She was instrumental in setting up the first Menopause Clinic in Edinburgh in 1989 and involved in the care of women with Menopausal and Menstrual Disorders since.
- Hon Professor of Medical Education & Gynaecology, Reproductive & Maternal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Glasgow
- Chair, Guidelines Development Group, ‘The practical care of women in Menopause’, for the European Endocrine Society.
- Visiting Professor Gynaecology to University of Hong Kong
- Officer of the Order of the British Empire, an Honour awarded in 2017.
Qualifications and Employment
Mary Ann has pursued a clinical and outpatient commitment in Gynaecology for over 25 years, with a particular interest in fibroids and menstrual disorder.
She ran a Menopause Clinic for complex Menopausal problems to teach and support research. With a significant leadership role in this area, both regionally and nationally as she is still actively participates in the education of doctors globally.
She has a keen interest in midlife women’s health and chronic disease prevention, particularly related to obesity and ethnicity.
In 2017 she had the honour of being awarded Officer of the Order of the British Empire for services to Women’s Health.
Mary Ann continues to publish chapters and reviews and has multiple peer reviewed papers in major journals.
She campaigns actively for women’s health issues both nationally and internationally. Her affiliations include:
- Past CEO, International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Past President, International Menopause Society
- Past President British Menopause Society
- Past Senior Vice President of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists with responsibility for Strategy
- Past Vice Chair, Women’s Health Expert Advisory Group to the Medicine and Hormones Regulatory Authority